Concrete is one of the most versatile substances when it comes to interior or exterior design. One of the quickest and most effective ways to create that industrial look that’s so popular at the moment is to incorporate concrete into some aspect of your home.
This could be done in a variety of ways, from the single feature piece such as a concrete fireplace to something much bolder, like the floors and walls. Designers are using concrete in new and unusual ways and we want to take a look at a new emerging trend coming out of the concrete-work: wood effect concrete floors!
This is a beautiful way to incorporate the look of wooden floors with the industrial modernity of concrete. This type of flooring can have many benefits to a wide range of homes. They are suitable for lounges, dining rooms and even disabled bathrooms. If you’re interested in doing this in your own home, we’ve put together a guide on how you can incorporate this look.
What you need
- Concrete base
- Fibre tape
- Wooden plank of your chosen dimensions
- Concrete paint
- Concrete stain
- A broom
- Protective sealer
How to create wood effect concrete
- Ensure that your floor is level and clear of any debris
- Lay concrete base – This is something that we at Oxcrete can help with. Our volumetric ready-mix concrete is poured directly at the site, so you only pay for what you lay
- Once set and dry, clean the area once again – this could be done via a pressure washer, sweeping etc. You want to make sure that the base is completely clear, so that the paint, stain and sealer have a smooth surface to lay upon
- Using fibre tape, map out your wooden planks on the concrete base – to make this easier, see if you can get your hands on a plank of wood that has the width and length of your preferred measurements you wish to use. Draw around the wooden plank with a pencil and then use the Fibre tape to mark out the lines!
- Decide on the colour of your concrete paint and begin to apply it to your concrete floor using a roller over the tape. We suggest using a light colour which will help to bring out the beautiful shade of the stain used later. If you’re looking to add that wood grain detail, consider using a brush. Its bristles should give it that wooden texture
- Remove the tape before it dries! – If you wait until the paint has set, there’s a chance the tape will cause the paint to chip and crack. That’s not ideal if you’re looking for those smooth definitive lines between each “plank”
- Now you want to stain the concrete floor with a concrete stain to help give it that wooden effect. Fill each plank area with the stain and go over the removed paint lines. This will help to create that definition between each “plank”. Remember to use a brush to keep that wood effect going!
- Once the stain has dried, you need to make sure you put down concrete sealer. This helps to protect the floor from surface damage as well as corrosion. We would recommend using a satin finish as it will help to give that beautiful wooden floor effect
And you’re done! You should now have a beautiful concrete wood effect floor, perfect for that industrial feel.
Here at Oxcrete, we are experts in concrete with over thirty years of experience delivering concrete solutions to the region. If you’re looking for a ready-mix concrete solution, check out what we have to offer with our volumetric concrete mixing, where you only pay for the volume you use.
We will also be able to supply our customers with decorative concrete very soon! This means that you will be able to choose from a wide range of colours and textures for a highly aesthetic look and feel.